The Fredericksburg Brewing Insiders (FBI) is a AHA registered homebrew club in Fredericksburg, Virginia dedicated to the enjoyment and promotion of home brewing and beer appreciation in the Fredericksburg area. We share brewing knowledge, methods, new brewpub and microbrewery discoveries, and great homebrew at monthly meetings and special events. No brewing experience is necessary.
The objectives of the club are:
- Learning about beer and brewing techniques
- Promoting the craft of homebrewing
- Help one another make better beer
- Social interaction and activities centered around homebrewing
- Responsible use and enjoyment of beer
So, if you like real beer, want to know beer styles better, brew your own beer, or are just curious as to what it takes to brew beer,
FBI meetings are the place for you.
The next FBI meeting will be held Tuesday, 21 May, 2013 @ 7:30 PM.
The Beer Style of the Month will be BJCP Style 10 American Ale
(A) American Pale Ale, (B) American Amber Ale, (C) American Brown Ale
Style information can be found in the May Newsletter or in the BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines
Bring your homebrewed American Ale or any commercial example of the style to the meeting. Remember, homebrew of any style is always welcome.
For further meeting information, click here.
FBI Members advance to AHA National Homebrew Competition Finals
FBI members have three beers advancing to the National Homebrew Competition Finals.
In order to advance, the beer must receive a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place award at one of the 11 regional competitions. Each region this year received the maximum allowed 750 entries. Brewers could send their entries to any of the 11 regions until that region was full. The entries are then judged within the parameters of the 2008 BJCP Style Guide for Beer, Mead and Cider. Among the criteria used for judging are aroma, taste and overall adherence to the entered beer category.
The club members advancing this year are:
Mark Faller and Tom O'Connor won 2nd Place in the Spice, Herb, Vegetable Category (Denver Regional) Rod, Scott, and Brian Bergquist won 2nd Place in Scottish and Irish Ale (Atlanta Regional)
6th Annual Northern Virginia Summer BrewFest
Saturday, June 22 and Sunday, June 23, 2013
The Northern Virginia Summer BrewFest will be held at Morven Park just north of Leesburg on Route 15 at Tutt Lane. The exact address is 41793 Tutt Lane, Leesburg, VA, 20176.
The Summer BrewFest schedule is shown below. Please note that beer sampling will close one hour prior to the end of the festival.
Saturday, 11:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Sunday, 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM
What is a Nova BrewFest?
Our Summer BrewFest is a craft beer festival, providing a great opportunity to try beers from different microbreweries from around the United States. Adult admission is for those 21 years of age and older. Prior to admission, you must present a valid identification documenting that you are at least 21 years of age.
May 2013 FBI Newsletter
· Club web banner ($10)
· Dues - $20 – See Susan
· PBW for sale - $5 for 1.5 pounds
· Tasting glasses for sale - $5 for 3 glasses
If you ordered a shirt (NHC or Logo) they should be available. Please bring your money.
Hop Blossom Homebrew Competition & Craft Beer Festival (Winchester, VA)
6/22/13 – 6/23/13
6th Annual Northern VA Summer Brewfest
6/27/13 – 6/29/13
NHC 2013 Conference
Agenda for meeting
7:30-7:45 – Homebrew share
7:45-8:00 – Club new/events/information
- Update on AHA 2013
8:00-8:20 – Style of the Month
8:20-8:40 – Technical Presentation
8:40-9:00 – Other topics/ club business
9:00-9:30 – Open tasting / discussion
· The National Homebrewers Conference (NHC) will be held in Philadelphia in June 2013 (Rod Bergquist - Coordinator)
o Need to determine booth decorations/food/etc.
o Need to get a club banner for our NHC booth.
BURP's Spirit of Free Beer XXI
May 11, 2013
Mad Fox Brewing Company
Falls Church, VA
- The metropolitan Washington DC (DC/MD/VA) area's largest amateur homebrew competition - going strong since 1992!
- Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) qualified judges, who provide entrants with quality feedback in the form of written evaluations containing suggestions for improvement.
- Great prizes such as brewing ingredients/equipment, apparel from well-known breweries, and gift certificates from local merchants. The 2012 competition had prizes with an estimated total retail value of greater than $4000.
- No limit on number of entries per brewer, but entering early is recommended for all.
- All BJCP beer/mead/cider styles accepted. $7 for all entries.
- Is a qualifying event for the Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing (MCAB) competition.
- We invite our fellow homebrewers and beer enthusiasts to participate in this year's SoFB by entering beers, judging, stewarding, or donating prizes.
Online Registration For Spirit of Free Beer is Now Open!
To Register an Entry or to Register as a Judge or Steward, Click the Online Registration